Sunday 12 September 2010

From the glaur to the glory

Today I was reading some verses from the Psalms and came across three that describe the plight of men and women as sinking in the 'mire' or the 'miry clay'.  The Psalmist then calls on God who saves him and lifts him up on to the solid rock.
  1. I sink in deep mire (Psalm 69:2) - the problem
  2. Deliver me out of the mire and let me not sink (Psalm 69:14) - the prayer
  3. He brought me up out of the miry clay (Psalm 40:2) - the praise
Soem years ago I heard an Ulster preacher describe that experience of salvation as being taken 'from the glaur to the glory'.  The Ulster-Scots word glaur, which has passed into Ulster dialect, is a good translation of 'mire' or 'miry clay'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.