After the Rebellion and Massacre of 1641, by an arrangement made between the Scotch and English Parliaments, a Scotch army, ten thousand strong, was sent to Ireland for the protection of the Irish Protestants. Four kirk-sessions were organised in this army, and it was then determined to form a Presbytery according to the discipline of the Church of Scotland. On the 10th of June, 1642, that Presbytery, consisting of four ruling elders and five ministers, was constituted here in Carrickergus.
On the 350th anniversary of that first presbytery the Carrickfergus Window was installed in Church House in Belfast. The window depicts a ship arriving from Scotland to land at Carrickfergus, which is represented by the 11th century Anglo-Norman castle.